Monday, September 6, 2010

It's Been A While...

Well much has happened since I last wrote! For example, my camp! It went well: the kids had a blast and I think maybe learned a little too! We played lots of soccer and Frisbee and they learned about everything from Puberty to HIV/AIDS to how to plan their future and avoid things that might make that future impossible. We did voluntary HIV/AIDS testing, risky I know, but luckily had all negative results! YAY!!! It’s been about a month and a half since camp has finished and the kids are still talking about it!! They want me to organize a 3 month long camp next year, etc. haha! So overall I’d say the camp in and of itself was quite a success! However, I found out that someone I work with was taking money behind my back which was quite disappointing and a little hard to swallow after all the work that I had put into making the camp a success. But that is the way things are here in Cameroon. Corruption is this country’s downfall and the main thing holding them back from developing. It is quite sad but the reality.
After my camp I took a week and went up to the Adamaoua region to help another volunteer with a camp…yes I know, what was I thinking? Haha But really it was the best thing I could have done, considering how things ended after my camp. It was a great chance to see a couple other volunteers, visit a new region, and get to just have fun with a camp rather than be overwhelmed with logistics. We had a fabulous time in a little village called Ribao. We had 20 kids and they were super shy to start with, but as usually happens they warmed up to us as the week went on. It was so rewarding to watch them come out of their shells and watch as they got super excited about learning about health topics and singing some silly songs I’ve written since being here. We had a blast and their village was soooo beautiful!!! It was exactly the break that I needed after so much planning and then carrying out with all the pressure on me!!
Since then I have been doing a little of this and a little of that but mostly trying to get my body healthy again. I started with a sinus infection right after the camp in the Adamou (I can’t handle ‘cold’ weather anymore I guess) and then a kidney infection followed by malaria which I just finished the meds for yesterday. So needless to say it’s been a nice time of resting and reading and going to visit friends to hang out. But I am doing much better now and no need to worry…malaria really wasn’t too bad!
O and I almost forgot! My postmate, Peter got here about 2 weeks ago! He will be teaching computers at the high school! Their school year ‘starts’ today, which means a couple people might be there by the end of the week but classes will most likely start next week. He is super nice and seems quite excited about the work he’s going to be doing. We have also talked about a number of collaborations we are going to try to do! I’ll keep you updated on those as they happen!!
Also I have gotten some requests for things that I’d like in packages so here is a short list of things that might make it seem less like Africa! Hehe! O and a little tip if you do send a package, the flat rate boxes are the best deal!! Don’t spend 100 bucks on a package…that’s crazy!!! Anyway here ya go:
Magazines (Nice to know what’s going on over there)
Instant grits (a big bag or individual servings are good)
Parmesan cheese!!! (most missed item by Peace Corps Cameroon Volunteers)
Candles (Yeah…power…not so regular here)
Seasonal Teas (I LOVE Christmas teas!)
Candy/Chocolate of any kind! Hehe
Toys or games for young kids (I work with a group of orphans and also have kids at my house all the time)
DVDs and/or Cds (again we’re kinda disconnected out here)
Instant hummus powder (not sure how easy this is to find but there is another volunteer who had someone send her some so…)
Crystal Lite packets (I love water but sometimes it’s nice to pretend it’s something else)
Any kind of UNC paraphernalia!!
Canned chicken!!! (Yeah I know it sounds disgusting but when you eat fish 2 times a day everyday…)
Really any little pasta packets that can be quickly and easily made (PastaSides, Ramen, etc.)

Ok well that’s just a little list, and please don’t feel obligated to send me anything! I live quite well here so absolutely not necessary!! Anyway I hope that everyone is well! I miss you all terribly!! Can you believe on the 18th I will have been here in Cameroon for an entire year?!?!? 15 months left!! Anyway I hope that everything is well for all of you! I miss you and I will try to write more frequently now that I have internet at my house again! YAY!! Have a great day!! Love you!!
<3 Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment